Tuesday, July 13, 2004

the next day

It is cloudy today here in Las Vegas and maybe that is why I am feeling befuddled. I'm not use to this greyness as we usually have total sun. I keep feeling as if I should just curl up on the couch with a good book LOL but I did want to get more up on the blog.There is so much I want to share and I am having a hard time trying to decide where to start.

As I said in my intro we have 4 children ages 10-21. All have been homeschooled at one time or another. My youngest has never been to school. This is our 7th year of homeschooling.

We are very eclectic in our approach.We have some structure, some unschooling, some child-led studies, some guided by mom and various scope and sequences. With all this I have to say that the most important aspect is the ability to be flexible. We use something if it works for us, in a way that works for us.

I have researched many educational philosophies and take from them what works for us. One of my favorites is Charlotte Mason, an educator in the latter part of the 1800's. Her ideas are as appropriate for today as they were many years ago.Ambleside Online is an amazing yahoo group that also has a website that shows how to incorporate her ideas into a usable cirriculum. I also have used ideas I have gleaned from The Well-Trained Mind by Jessie Wise and Susan Wise Baurer, a classical approach to education.The Core Knowledge Series by E.D. Hirsch has been a great resource for us.I have used unit studies, lapbooking, notebooking and many more ideas at various times in our studies.Some of the best resources out there are the local library and the internet. We borrow books, both fiction and non-fiction, videos, DVDs, CDs, attend lectures/programs offered, all for free! On the internet there is a whole world out there waiting to help. There are many, many sites for lesson plans, worksheets etc. There are wonderful educational shows on your own tv.

Learning is a way of life for our family. We read a tremendous amount. We watch the History Channel and Discovery Channel for fun LOL.We talk and talk and talk some more. There is a tremendous amount of discussion/debate/interracting that goes on in our house from the youngest to the oldest and each one in between.

When I first started homeschooling I read in various different places that it was important to decide on an educational philosophy. It was important to know what you wanted from this journey. I kept thinking that I must be wrong because mine was so simplistic. More than anything I want my children to LOVE learning and to never lose that love no matter what age they are. I want them to know how to teach themselves. If they are interested in a topic I want them to have the tools to follow through with that interest. I think Galileo said it best, "You cannot teach a person anything; you can only help him find it within himself."

I need to check on laundry for now but will try to write more later.

barb

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home