Wednesday, July 14, 2004

organizing for the new school year

The other day I began to get organized for the beginning of next school year. I went through Josh's binders and cleaned everything out. These are three ring binders for each subject and I have broken each of them up into several categories as described in The Well-Trained Mind. Our topics do not correspond exactly, I set things up to suit our needs. His World History, American History and Science papers are each put into large three ring binders at the end of each year so that in the end he will be able to access all his information from his studies of each year. I also just keep adding to his Language Arts binder topics of grammar and spelling rules so that he can use these sections as reference material each year.

I also cleaned out my own large binder that I keep lesson plan ideas, worksheets etc in for the year. I need to pick up a new lesson plan book. I like to use the Creative Teaching Press one so hopefully Learning is Fun will have it.

I began to put together the information needed for notification as they are having an early notification sign up at a library branch in a few weeks. It makes it so much easier to have all this done then. I use Home Learning Year by Year written by Rebecca Rupp as a guideline on what we will be studying. Some topics may be repeats so we will skip these and concentrate on something else. For example, in her book she lists 5th grade World History topics to cover including Ancient Egypt, Greece, and Rome. We have done these subjects to death it seems so I will substitute something else.We also use the Core Knowledge series, What Your --- Grader Needs to Know. I use these as a spine. A few years ago I found on the internet worksheet questions that are very well done by a homeschooling family. We use these occasionally for a few subjects.

I need to go to Ambleside Online's site to see what is listed for this year. I use their composer, painter,Shakespeare, Plutarch, and Nature Study schedules as a guideline for these subjects.

Julie Bogart, a writer and homeschooling mom, has a fantastic language arts subscription program called The Arrow for ages 8-12 that I am going to use this year. She uses the practices of copywork and dictation which are practices of Charlotte Mason which are already a part of our studies.She also uses real literature which is a main stay of our homeschooling also so things should work out nicely for us in this area.

I will try and link sites etc of the things I mention as soon as I figure out how to upload links. LOL

I am hoping to put together a small unit of books etc on the Olympics as they are coming up soon. Some of our topics will be the history of the olympics (really just a review), some fiction books, some non-fiction on Greece itself, Greek myths. Since Josh is so into hiking and mountains I am thinking we will do some geology etc when we read about Greece. We just received our worry beads that I purchased on ebay. It was exciting for the both of us to know they actually came from Athens Greece. I was amazed he knew what they were from reading one of his Hardy Boy books. I still have to read it because I told him I was interested in seeing how they played a part in the story line. Enchanted Learning has some neat booklets etc on the Olympics. I am going to be subscribing to their site to access these. They have some fantastic stuff that I have used in the past. I went to Barnes & Noble the other day and was really disappointed that they didn't even have a display up on the Olympics. When I worked at Little Professor in Cinti there were always wonderful displays on the various events/holidays going on during the year.
I need to get to the library to pick up some books I found on the Olympics.

Well I best get back to other things.

Barb



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home