Tuesday, July 20, 2004

another day

Well thanks to the help of Kate's brilliant boyfriend, Jason, the computer guru, I have links on the side of my blog!!! Thanks Jason. These are some sites that are mainstays in our homeschooling.
 
This past week I have been reminded that ours is truely a family that enjoys learning for the fun of it. Josh found a 3 hour special on the History Channel the other day that was on the Vikings, Goths and Mongols. Very interesting. We have studied these before but found out a few new things.  All the kids have been discussing/debating politics and recent world events. Lauren and Kate are still talking about George Orwell's 1984.
 
This past weekend Lauren and I went to Learning is Fun. I got my new lesson plan book for the year and also found an interesting activity book for Greece and the Olympics. I'm going to use some of the activites for the month of August since the summer Olympics are being held in Athens and start soon. They have some myths, cooking recipes, history etc that will interest us.
 
Josh is totally into Spiderman now. He has seen the movie 3 times and has now developed an interest in the comic books. I always love to see what his new passions turn into. He was into the Hardy Boys and playing detectives for awhile and now it looks like it's Spiderman. He'll play for hours with his spiderman action figure imagining him in all sorts of situations.
 
Tomorrow Steve and I are going to Green Valley Library. They are having early notification for homeschooling at the branch there for the new school year. I planned out our yearly outline of studies and Steve typed everything up this past weekend. I filled out the other forms and so after I make copies  we'll be ready to turn everything in. It makes it so much easier when we file early like this and get it out of the way.
 
We really do need to get on the ball about reviewing some math and doing copywork for his cursive. I have not been as diligent in this as I had wanted to be.
 
Tonight Nova is having a program called Lost at Sea: The Search for Longitude. It chronicles the 17th century journey to determine longitude. I have looked up a few books that I will be getting from the library to read after we watch the program. These include: Seagoing Clocks: the Story of Longitude by Louise Borden, The Man Who Made Time Travel by Kathryn Lasky and The Longitude Prize by Joan Dash.  I may get out Carry on Mr. Bowditch by Jean Lee Latham again also. We never did finish reading it at the end of the year and both of us were enjoying it. I should just by a copy at the bookstore. It's such a good story.
 
 


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home