Thursday, June 02, 2005

saluting the 2005 National Scripps spellers!

273 kids showed up as spelling gurus. There was a quiz going aroung on MSN awhile ago for spelling gurus. Don't think any of the words that these kids had to come up with were on that quiz though. Nahhh. Too easy!

So kudos to Anurag Kashyap, a 13 year old from California, for winning with the correct spelling of appoggiatura which means a melodic tone. There was a tie for second place. Samir Patel, an 11 year old homeschooler from Texas and 13 year old Aliya Deri from California. They were taken out with the words Roscian which means skilled in acting and trouvaille meaning windfall. Personally I think Kashyap should have been given that word as his winning prizes are worth around $30,000. I'd say that qualifies as a trouvaille!

Kudos also to California for having two students in the top 3 and I always love to see the homeschoolers up there as well. Yes I am a little prejudiced seeing as we homeschool also. My own 11 year old homeschooler was in awe when he heard the words these kids had to spell. As the eighth grade representative for my own elementary school in the very beginning rounds of this same contest oh soooo many years ago lol I can attest to the hard work and perseverance it takes to get that far. Too bad I never made it past the city level. It was fun while it lasted though. :)

I think I will add a word that stumped another speller this year to my Josh's spelling list next time. He is after all a birder. The word - insessorial meaning birds that perch.

Again congratulations to ALL those young spellers. You sure could beat the pants off this spelling fanatic homeschooling mom.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home