Friday, August 19, 2005

In the famous words of Spongebob Squarepants...

I'm ready, I'm ready, I'm ready!! :))))

for our studies to begin. Welllll, not all the way ready but almost. Today I went through my file box of study ideas, worksheets (yes we do use them sometimes), etc etc. I put aside things I know we have done in the past and other things that I know we probably will not be doing this year. I do this every year and every year my youngest daughter teases me that if I would only THROW a few things out I probably wouldn't be doing this year after year lol. I also cleaned out a drawer of paper and such that we use in our studies. I rearranged a little and am FIRED up to start lol.

Living the way we do we seem to learn for the fun of it though. IE Today we watched a new show called Backyard Habitat. I had totally forgotten to remind us it was on at 8 am but Josh found it by luck later in the morning. We both wanted to really see this one as it was about making a yard that would attract ospreys. Being the birders we are it was right up our yard so to say. It was pretty good and showed some great shots of ospreys and their nests. Josh sat watching the show while copying his life list into his field guide so that he will have it in two different places. When you have a life list of 154 birds you don't take chances on having just one list and losing it.

Yesterday we took Julie Bogart's advice of having a movie day once a week and rented and watched The Spongebob movie. I know, I know. A grown woman and Spongebob you are thinking. I have to admit when he first came out a few years ago I did NOT like the show at all but I tell you that little sponge grows on you. I think more than anything I LOVE being able to sit with my 11 year old son and giggle the afternoon away. If it takes watching a sponge this mom's all for it then. :))

Well I'm off to go through the A & E and History Channel listings I was sent in their educator magazine to see what I can plan for us when we actually do get this show on the road.

2 Comments:

Blogger Theresa said...

Had to smile when I read your post. I also begin each year with such excitement-high hopes for all the wonderful learning opportunities for our kids and ourselves! I hope this year we can sustain it all year!
We don't get TV,so no History channel, but I search through Netflix to find DVDs to go along with our studies and add them to our queue (sp?).
Happy new school year!

4:14 PM  
Blogger barbara said...

Theresa,

I'm keeping my fingers crossed and saying prayers that not only Josh but "mom" can sustain the wonder and awe of what we have been blessed to experience.

Hope you're having a great beginning. We are starting next week.

8:06 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home