Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Pocketful of Pinecones

One of my favorite homeschooling books is Pocketful of Pinecones in which homechooling mom and author, Karen Andreola, explains "how to do" nature study the Charlotte Mason way in the form of a fictional story. This book is comfort food for my mind and soul and each time inspires me.

Re-reading it presently I have been reminded of one of my nature study resources that I have and do not take advantage of as often as I could/should. This resource is Anna Comstock's, Handbook of Nature Study. Originally published in 1911, it has been revised and republished a few times, the latest being 1986. This book is as timely now as when it was first published.

This morning, in anticipation of his trip to Great Basin National Park with his dad this weekend, Josh was going through his National Geographic Bird Guide discussing birds they anticipate seeing there. He is especially looking foward to trying to see these species of owls there that he does not yet have on his life list: northern saw whet, northern pygmy, great horned, flamulated, barn, and western screech. As he was reading about these owls in his guide, I grabbed my Handbook of Nature Study and began reading to him some of the things that Comstock has to say about owls in her book and discussing various aspects of such information as she shares.

This is the "natural learning" that I love to see happening in our home life. Mutual sharing of knowledge that interests us both.

And we haven't even "officially" started our school year yet. :))

4 Comments:

Blogger Theresa said...

I LOVE that Comstock's book! I just recently discovered it and can't believe what a rich resource it is! I really love that in addition to the information on just about everything and the lessons on observing nature, it includes poems and quotes related to the topics.I love adding them to my nature journal pages.
We will be using it regularly in our schooling, I'm sure. Keep posting on how you use it so we can share ideas!
We aim to start school "officially" next week.

1:59 PM  
Blogger Angela said...

Have you been wandering around in my bookshelves? I love "Pinecones" and am always amazed at the inexhaustable amount of information in Comstock's book.

I've been reading through your blog...love it! I will be visiting often!

9:58 PM  
Blogger barbara said...

Theresa,

I have begun trying to use this book more too. I am beginning to put together a monthly study guide to Andreola's Pinecone book and think I may post it on the blog to share with others. I want to try and use the Comstock book in connection with this too.

I'll share if you share lol! You have some fantastic ideas!! :)))

9:38 AM  
Blogger barbara said...

Mother Crone,

Thanks so much for stopping by. I have been enjoying your blog too. As I told Theresa I am putting together a monthly study guide for the Pinecone book that I'll share here on my homeschooling blog. Hope to see you again.

9:40 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home