Thursday, November 10, 2005

those blessed moments of time

Every once in awhile I am given a moment or so in time that helps me to see that the beauty in this thing we do called "homeschooling". I am reminded it isn't schooling but really living.

Josh and I are studying in more detail The Lewis & Clark Expedition for American History. I say in more detail because we have read about it before but in a very general way. Along with our studies we are reading the book, The Journal of Augustus Pelletier The Lewis and Clark Expedition 1804 by Kathryn Lasky. This book is a part of the wonderful series My Name is America which is within the Dear America books published by Scholastic.

Yesterday being our Wild Wild History Wednesday we read some from our book. And then we had to read more after lunch because Josh didn't want me to stop. Then we had to read AGAIN after dinner because he just had to find out what happened next. THIS is why I love reading fiction books that tie in with what we are learning about. You find out MANY details in an interesting way that leaves you wanting to still find out even more. Josh was thrilled to hear that Sacajewa means "bird woman". Well hey he is a birder after all. :) He wants to read more about her now lol. He drew some of the birds that were talked about and then that we read about from the Captains actual journals. He has commandeered a journal that I had gotten for his dad but which has never been used because it looks just like one of the journals that the Captains used. Dad doesn't seem to mind in the least. :) Copywork will be the "big speech" that the Captains made to the Indian chiefs each time they were encountered. Gus, the main character of the book, has a hard time with this speech, doesn't like it at all. I had the same thinking the first time I read it and I have a feeling that Josh will find it more than a little uncomfortable. Good discussion will ensue I am sure.

Blessed moments.

3 Comments:

Blogger Theresa said...

Hmmm... now you'll have to go on a camping trip so Josh can fill up that journal in the Lewis and Clark style! Or perhaps a road trip along the Lewis and Clark trail? Sounds like an adventure!
My mom has a copy of the actual expedition journals that I have been dying to borrow from her. I find them fascinating, especially all the sketches of the plants they discovered.
I've been thinking that as soon as we finish up Ancient Egypt we are going to switch gears to something a little more accessible. I was considering Lewis and Clark, actually! You beat me to it!

10:55 AM  
Blogger barbara said...

Josh thought that was a great idea when I read your reply to him lol. We have also been reading from a book by Stephen E. Ambrose called Lewis & Clark Voyage of Discovery. He also wrote the book Undaunted Courage which is about the expedition. Ambrose and his family have hiked and camped the trail for a long time. Beautiful photos are included along with text about the expedition and his family's times on the trail themselves. I have a book of the actual journals out from the library and read from it to Josh. Very hard to do! Their spelling was so bad I have to really think about what they are saying. We are having alot of fun with this and may be here for awhile as Josh wants to read more on York, Clark's slave and on Sacajawea also. We'd love to "see" you on the trail :)

1:15 PM  
Blogger Theresa said...

I have Undaunted Courage and it is on my "to read" list. If I can just finish up a couple of other books...
See you on the trail!

2:38 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home