Thursday, March 23, 2006

Observing Black History Month


In the past we have done unit studies during Black History Month. This year because of medical complications of an older brother and as a result driving taking up a HUGE part of my day, I thought we would end up losing out on this wonderful learning opportunity this year. I should have known and trusted Him. :) While at the library the other day, I was perusing the new picture books "when what to my wondering eyes should appear" - no not Christmas books :) - but FOUR books to use as read alouds during this month for Black History.


Delivering Justice W.W. Law and the Fight for Civil Rights by Jim Haskins

Happy Feet by Richard Michelson

Mr. Williams by Karen Barbour

Rosa by Nikki Giovanni


Looking through Happy Feet I was pleasantly surprised to discover the book is about the Savoy Ballroom in Harlem, New York during the Harlem Renaissance of the Roaring Twenties, THE very same time period we are studying for American History. :)

Picture books are one of my favorite ways to start and build on the topics we study. For those of you who might be skeptical about using them with older children please let me reassure you that there are some beautiful illustrated books that are written in a sophisticated style and full of meaning. Many of these books are not "twaddle" at all. I can't count how many times our studies have been enriched by this genre of books.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home