Thursday, July 29, 2004

procrastinating

Haven't been here in a little while. Have been meaning to get so much done and haven't gotten there yet. This is one of my big problems that I am always working on. I have great ideas but it is putting those ideas into actual motion that is what gets me alot of the times.

This is always a time of the year that I am always questioning how we homeschool. I read So MUCH of how everyone else is doing things that even after 7 years I still find myself wondering if Josh and I could be doing this a better way for him. We follow such an eclectic path that the responsibilty of pulling it altogether sometimes can seem daunting. I admire and agree with so much of Charlotte Mason's theories I like to use this as a basis. Then we add in Ampleside Online (AO) ideas which actually just implement her theories. I really want to follow even more a literature based curriculum. Josh and I love reading and love learning in this manner. If we want to find out something on a topic we generally hunt up a book to read on it. My biggest fear that I am having a problem coming to grips with is the documentation part of what he is learning. He has a tremendous memory and  advanced verbal communication skills. His weaknesses are in his written communication and this is what I worry about. I am always amazed at the depth of his knowledge on many topics but is this enough? He really doesn't show a motivation in the written part of things. This is not the area where he gets all excited. I hear moans and groans. I think he recognizes the importance but I want to help him develop an interest in this area and not the reluctance he has shown. How to do that is the million dollar question right now for me LOL.

We never did get to watch that show on Nova that I wrote about earlier. Maybe we can catch it in reruns. We have watched various other shows as we always do. They are just a part of our life. Last night we watched Edward's speech at the Democratic convention. We will be talking and reading about the electoral process more and more as the election gets closer. He already listens and participates in discussions with all his siblings. These are really interesting to listen to many times.

Well it looks like I am going to have to cut this short. Josh is asking me to read a book I got out at the library on a naturalist and he is hungry so I will try and write more later.

  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home