Tuesday, November 22, 2005

literature and movies

What blessings both are in this thing we call homeschooling.

Josh and I are going out this morning to buy the DVD of Polar Express. He has seen it before and loved it. We are also in the middle of C.S. Lewis's, The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. As much of a reader as I am, I can not believe that I have never read this book either as a child or adult until now. It is wonderful to be sharing it with Josh. We are really enjoying it and he begs for more. We saw the previews recently of the movie coming out in December and it looks very interesting. Upon viewing movies of books we have read, always after the fact, a rule that my older daughters still tease me about and yet still abide by themselves, we will compare and contrast and decide which we prefer more. If it is as usual, the book will win out. It always does. I say that's because in most cases no one can match each of our own unique interpretations.

3 Comments:

Blogger Theresa said...

I think that movies are a great addition to the homeschool as well. We are getting ready to watch 3 different versions of Romeo and Juliet (the old Zefferelli version, the modern one with Leonardo DiCaprio, and the 1966 ballet version) so we can compare the three. Why? Because superboy saw his older brother enjoying the Dicaprio version last year, only caught the beginning, and has wanted to see the rest ever since. I love all versions but haven't seen the ballet since I was a child. After we atch them, I will pick out some select scenes from the play to read aloud. Seeing the movies should really help Superboy with the difficult language.
Anyway, thats the plan...

10:12 AM  
Blogger barbara said...

Oh Theresa,

I love Romeo and Juliet. Josh and I read scenes from Macbeth before we saw it at his sister's high school. So much fun! Have you read the E.Nesbit and Lamb's retellings? These are great for "getting your feet wet" with Shakespeare. We have also enjoyed Bruce Coville's picture book retellings of a few of the plays.

8:18 PM  
Blogger Theresa said...

I haven't seen those. guess I'll have to check them out- any excuse to buy more books! I have to admit that I was never exposed to Shakespeare much as a child, only Romeo and Juliet, so I am educating myself of late. I have recently seen the movie versions of Hamlet, Midsummer Nights Dream, Much Ado About Nothing, Othello, and Merchant of Venice. Othello nearly killed me, it was so sad.

8:42 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home