Thursday, July 29, 2004

continuation

Well Steve and Josh are gone to his last ice hockey tryout so I thought I would try and write a little more. I get more nervous than Josh at his tryouts so it's always best for me to stay home LOL.

The book that Josh ask me to read with him was The Flower Hunter: William Bartram, America's First Naturalist by Deborah Kogan Ray. Beautiful book. Well written and absolutely gorgeous paintings for pictures. Lauren even listened in on it. I love it that Josh still wants me to read to him. He says he loves my voices that I do when I read outloud. He does plenty of reading on his own so I don't mind obliging him. I think we were all inspired to try and sketch things in our nature journals.

Last night I began to read again to Josh the book Carry On, Mr.Bowditch. If anyone reads this post and knows how to pronounce this name I would love to hear from you. I have always said bow like in the bow of a ship. We had started this at the end of our last term but didn't finish it and had to give it back to the library. The other day when I was at the library I took it back out. Yesterday as I was browsing through it trying to figure out where we had left off Josh told me the exact spot we had stopped reading. I had to laugh. He remembered the last thing we had read of it over 2 months ago. He wants me to read a picture book in the morning and from a classic book at night before bed. I had been doing this during the year but when summer came stopped. That was dumb!

I have been cleaning out all my papers I have printed out from the internet with lesson plans, worksheets etc. I go crazy with all these ideas and want to do everything. I know that Josh and I both need some structure or it doesn't work for us but I would really like to read even more this year and not worry so much about the written documentation that he is actually learning something. I know he is and that should be enough!

I have recently began putting together a list of picture books that we use in our studies. I like to read them in connection with whatever we are studying. They make a very nice introduction to our topics and helped to expand on whatever we are learning in a short amount of reading time. They are so well written and many times the pictures that accompany them are beautiful. I have tried to find a resource that lists them by subject matter. The closest I have come is the A to Zoo reference book but this is not as encompassing as I want so I decided to put my own list together. I have even been toying with seeing if this is something that might be publishable. We'll have to see.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home