Tuesday, August 17, 2004

children's picture books

This post is dedicated to my good friend Jan who has orientation today for the preschoolers she is teaching this year. She has a GREAT website that you can get to from my side links called Miss Jan's Space. Check it out! Hope the kids and you have a FANTASTIC day Jan! She is an AMAZING teacher after all it was from her that I learned all about green milk on St. Patty's day. LOL My kids loved playing at her house across the street because she always did the neatest things with them and of course her kids had the coolest toys, real ones that let you use your imagination!

Somehow all this talk about preschoolers is so appropriate because as I have been getting our school year organized I keep coming across articles and posts on my egroups which deal with education through literature and in using children's picture books in this regard. Many people think that this type of book is just for reading to little ones but they are greatly mistaken. Josh and I have always read MANY picture books to start off studies that we do and during the course of whatever we are learning. They are fantastically written and have a tremendous amount of information that is delivered in a very short amount of reading time. It "whets our whistles" for whatever topic we are on. Lately I have been starting to record and compile a list of the books we use because I have yet to find a general reference guide book for this. A to Zoo is the closest thing I have come upon and yet that is not very extensive. Each time we have a new topic I go online and root through library titles, lists from internet sites etc to try and come up with a list of books to choose from.
I am imagining a book that lists a topic say the Revolutionary War and under that you would have titles of picture books that deal with this topic. I was lucky this morning to find a post in one of my homeschool groups in which someone sent titled A Picture Book Study of American History: The French and Indian Wars to the Progressive Era (1689-1900). Under each topic such as The French and Indian Wars, The Revoltutionary War,Westward Expansion etc she had listed a number of picture books on that topic. I felt like it was Christmas morning because Josh and I are going to cover the time period of Westward Expansion on in our American History studies this year. Boy did I get a pen and go online to the library's website quick to look up a bunch of these titles. LOL This is exactly what kind of information I envision a book to contain including other various types of topics one studies in learning such as music, art, science, math etc.

Josh and I read a tremendous amount of literature in regard to whatever we are studying. I do like to counter this with some sort of spine book such as What your --- grader needs to know or the History of US books etc. Using narration and other such Charlotte Mason tools along with our reading rounds out our learning experience very well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home