Tuesday, November 16, 2004

F in writing

OK so it was a month in between each of the last TWO times I have posted on here so I am giving myself an F in writing. Josh will laugh at that because it is one of his harder things and I am always reminding him that he will only get better if he practices. Boy mom should practice what she preaches. lol

Well... so what have we been up to lately? Sometimes I worry we aren't doing enough or aren't doing it in the right way and then days come like today. We ran errands all morning the library being one of those stops. Josh headed straight for the marine biology section. He has found a new author he likes, Dorothy Hinshaw Patten. He says her books contain more factual information in a more mature way and are longer but not too long. He was excited to find out that the library lists 97 titles for her when he checked their system on the computer. By the time we got home it was lunch and within a few hours I had to leave to pick up Brad from work. He asked if he could watch one of the videos he checked out from the library. TV during the day has to be ok'd by me. The video was one on sharks surprise, surprise. Josh wants to be a marine biologist so he watches and reads anything he can get his hands on in this field. So here is my son who for fun and by his own choice watches and reads EDUCATIONAL things. I guess we're doing ok.

In Math we are studying fractions, factoring/simplifying/multiplication/divsion. He's getting the hang of all of it pretty well.

We are reading The Big Wave. Well, I am reading it aloud but he read it the day I bought it. He couldn't wait. Then kept bugging me to start it before we had even finished our other book Young Fu of the Upper Yangtze. Both books are excellent and I highly recommend them. When we read Young Fu Josh and I read about how China became a communist country. Very interesting.

We are reading Sign of the Beaver for American History right now and are enjoying it. He is researching a Native American tribe for a research report to be done this month. In World History since The Big Wave takes place in Japan we are reviewing Feudal Japan.

For science right now he has a Marine Biology notebook that he is keeping with the intention of using it later when he becomes a maring biologist. Gotta love that child's initiative! We will be going through the Core K 5 science section to expand on some other things. I think we are going to be doing classification next. We'll see. He is begging me for another trip to Shark Reef too.

Our WWI unit study using the book Summer Soldiers was a huge success. We both enjoyed it alot. We also studied about elections but I won't even go there now if you know what I mean!

His printing and cursive get better each time he practices copywork. I had to laugh because there were a few times when we were reading Young Fu that he said "copywork" as I read a sentence. The boy knows his mother only too well!

Looking back over all this I guess we are doing enough. He loves learning still and that's what's important to me!

Gotta get off this computer now.

Barb

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home